The City Council will hold a special meeting on March 12 at 6:00 p.m. to interview applicants.
In May 2010, the Hercules City Council adopted Resolution 10-068 establishing the following procedures governing appointments to City Council Advisory Bodies and Regional Committees and Boards.
A. NOTICE OF EXPIRING TERMS AND VACANCIES
1. All vacancy notices and postings shall be done in accordance with the provisions of California Government Code Section 54972. On or before December 31 of each year, the City Council shall have prepared a list of all appointive terms which will expire during the next calendar year, with the name of the incumbent appointee, the date of appointment, the date the term expires and the necessary qualifications for the position. The list shall identify all boards, commission and committees whose members serve at the pleasure of the City Council and the necessary qualifications for each position.
2. The City Clerk shall cause the appointment list to be distributed for posting and/or publishing as follows:
· West County Times
· Office of the City Clerk
· Hercules Library
· City Website
· Hercules Cable Channel
· City Hall Bulletin Board
· Community Center Bulletin Board
· Ohlone Community Center Bulletin Board
· Creekside Center Post Office Bulletin Board
· Such other places directed by the City Council
B. APPLICATION PROCESS
1. During the posting of the notice of vacancy as outlined in Section A above, the City Clerk shall provide a Volunteer Application and Supplemental Questionnaire to those persons wishing to be considered for appointment. Application packets shall also be made available through the City website.
2. An applicant may not submit applications for appointment to more than two commissions, committees or boards during any recruitment period.
3. Completed applications by eligible candidates shall be kept on file in the City Clerk’s Office and will remain active for one year.
4. A deadline for submitting applications for commission, committee or board appointment shall be established. No application shall be accepted or considered after the established deadline.
C. INTERVIEW AND APPOINTMENT
1. Once the final application deadline has passed, the City Clerk’s Office will provide a status report to the City Council at which time the dates and times of interviews of candidates eligible for appointment to fill a commission, committee or board vacancy will be set.
2. A special meeting of the City Council shall be scheduled for the purpose of conducting interviews of candidates eligible for appointment to a commission, committee or board. Such meetings shall be open to the public.
3. Incumbents with expiring terms may apply for re-appointment but may, at the City Council's discretion, not be required to participate in the interview process.
4. All other individuals eligible for appointment shall participate in an interview before the City Council prior to being considered for appointment.
5. The City Clerk's Office will contact all eligible applicants and schedule for interview.
6. The City Clerk’s Office will copy the applicants’ written material for Council members. The written materials will also be available for public review in the City Clerk’s Office.
7. Interviews are informal and usually last 15-20 minutes. Council members are looking for:
· Familiarity with the subject
· Decision making ability
· Commitment to the position for which they have applied
8. Candidates eligible for appointment to a commission, committee or board will remain in the waiting area until they are called in for their interview and must leave the meeting once their interview is concluded. Members of the public who have not applied for appointment to a commission may attend the entire meeting.
9. Appointments will be made by public vote of the City Council at the City Council’s second meeting in March or as soon thereafter as the City Council determines to make the appointments.
10. Commission, committee and board appointments become effective upon administration of the Oath of Office. All adult persons appointed by the City Council must successfully complete the Live Scan process prior to receiving the Oath of Office and assuming their position on the commission, committee or board to which they are appointed.
D. UNSCHEDULED VACANCIES
1. Whenever an unscheduled commission, committee or board vacancy occurs due to resignation, death, termination, removal, disqualification or other cause, a special vacancy notice shall be and posted in the locations identified in Section A.2 of this Resolution, as amended from time to time, in accordance with the provisions of California Government Code 54974(a). Special vacancy notices shall be posted not earlier than twenty (20) days before or not later than twenty (20) days after the vacancy occurs. Final appointment to fill the unscheduled vacancy shall not be made for at least 10 working days after the posting of the special vacancy notice.
2. If an unscheduled vacancy occurs within ninety days after interviews for appointment to that commission, committee or board have been conducted, the unscheduled vacancy may be filled by appointment of one of the individuals interviewed following the required posting of the unscheduled vacancy.
3. If an unscheduled vacancy occurs within one year after an individual is appointed to a commission, committee or board, the City Clerk shall advise candidates who filed application for appointment to that commission, committee or board within that year of the unscheduled vacancy. Those persons with applications on file within that year may re-activate their application by contacting the City Clerk’s Office and asking that the application be reactivated.
4. Appointments to fill unscheduled vacancies become effective upon administration of the Oath of Office. All adult persons appointed by the City Council to fill an unscheduled vacancy must complete a City of Hercules Volunteer application, a supplemental questionnaire and the Live Scan process prior to receiving the Oath of Office and assuming their position on the commission, committee or board to which they are appointed.
All persons recommended for appointment must complete a City of Hercules Volunteer application, a supplemental questionnaire and must successfully complete the Live Scan process prior to assuming their position on their respective Commission, Committee or Board.