2013 Commission/Committee Recruitment - DEADLINE EXTENDED TO THURS., MARCH 14, 2013
The City Council seeks applicants to apply for the following City Commissions and Committees. All applicants must be Hercules residents and at least 18 years of age, with the exception of the Community and Library Services Youth Commissioner, who must be a High School Student (grade 9-12). All positions are voluntary.
Volunteer Applications in addition to the supplemental questionnaire are due no later than Thursday, March 14, 2013.
Planning Commission - 3 seats
Community and Library Services Commission - 1 - 1 year term as a Youth Commissioner
Citizens Finance Advisory Committee - 1 seat
Measure O Citizens Oversight Committee - 1 seat
In February 2009, the Hercules City Council adopted Resolution 09-013 establishing the following procedures governing appointments to City Council Advisory Bodies and Regional Committees and Boards.
A. NOTICE OF VACANCIES
All vacancy notices and postings shall be done in accordance with the provisions of California Government Code Section 54972. On or before December 31 of each year, the legislative body shall have prepared a list of all appointive terms which will expire during the next calendar year, with the name of the incumbent appointee, the date of appointment, the date the term expires and the necessary qualifications for the position. The list shall identify all boards, commission and committees whose members serve at the pleasure of the legislative body.
The City Clerk shall cause the Appointment List to be distributed for posting and/or publishing as follows:
- West County Times
- Hercules Library
- City Website (Vacancies and Expiring Terms for 2012)
- Hercules Cable Channel
- City Hall Bulletin Board
- Community Center Bulletin Board
- Ohlone Community Center Bulletin Board
- Creekside Center Post Office Bulletin Board
B. APPOINTMENT PROCESS
- Council Members shall recruit and nominate one Hercules resident to serve on each of the active City Commission. Upon official appointment, Council Members making the initial nomination will assume the responsibility for oversight of the respective appointee.
- For the purpose of implementation of the procedures outlined, initial appointments shall be made by the Mayor, Vice Mayor and the Council Member receiving the highest number of votes cast in the latest Municipal Election.
- Council Members not making appointments during any given appointment period, shall assume oversight of incumbents and will be provided the opportunity to recruit and nominate the following year.
- All appointments of Youth Commissioners to any active Commission shall be made by the presiding Mayor.
- During the posting of the notice of vacancy as outlined in section A above, the City Clerk shall provide a Volunteer Application and Supplemental Questionnaire to those persons wishing to be considered for appointment. Any and all completed applications shall be kept on file in the City Clerk’s Office and will remain active for one year.
- All individuals considered for appointment may be required to participate in an interview before the entire City Council prior to any official appointment being made.
- Incumbents with expiring terms may apply for re-appointment but will not be required to participate in the interview process.
- For the purpose of conducting interviews, a Special Meeting of the City Council shall be scheduled. Such meeting is subject to Brown Act requirements and therefore is open to the public. Candidates will be asked to remain seated in the waiting area until they are called in for the interview. Members of the public have the option of remaining in the room for any part of or for the entire meeting.
- Appointments for all active Commissions will be announced at the City Council’s second meeting in March.
- All persons recommended for appointment must successfully complete the Live Scan process prior to receiving the Oath of Office and assuming their position on their respective Commission.
Regional Committees and Boards
Volunteer Applications and Supplemental Questionnaires will be available at the City Clerk’s Office and will be mailed upon request with information about the opening(s). The appropriate forms will also be available on the City’s web site.
No application shall be accepted after the deadline set by the City Council.
When the final deadline has passed, the City Clerk’s Office will provide a status report to the City Council at which time the dates and times of interviews will be set.
The City Clerk's Office will contact all applicants and set an interview time.
The City Clerk’s Office will copy the applicants’ written material for Council Members. The written material will also be available for public review in the City Clerk’s Office.
For the purpose of conducting interviews, a Special Meeting of the City Council shall be scheduled. Such meeting is subject to Brown Act requirements and therefore is open to the public. Candidates will be asked to remain seated in the waiting area until they are called in for the interview. Members of the public have the option of remaining in the room for any part of or for the entire meeting.
Appointments for all Regional Committees and Boards will be made by public vote at the City Council’s second meeting in March.
All persons recommended for appointment must successfully complete the Live Scan process prior to assuming their position on their respective Committee or Board.
Should a vacancy occur for an unexpired term, a notice of the unscheduled vacancy shall be posted not earlier than 20 days before no later than 20 days after the vacancy occurs and at least 10 working days before the appointment is made. The notice of unscheduled vacancy shall be distributed for posting and publishing as outlined in section A of this Resolution.
Appointments to fill the vacancy and complete the unexpired term shall be made by the Council Member making the initial appointment. Should the Council Member be unsuccessful in recruiting a successor, persons may be considered from those applications that are on file in the City Clerk’s Office.
All persons recommended for appointment must complete a City of Hercules Volunteer application, a supplemental questionnaire and must successfully complete the Live Scan process prior to assuming their position on their respective Commission, Committee or Board