2017 Safety Tips for the Holidays
As the Holiday Season approaches, the thefts from residences and vehicles increase. Here are a few safety tips to help you from becoming a victim of theft.
- WHEN YOU ARE NOT AT HOME LOCK ALL DOORS AND WINDOWS; AND ACTIVIATE ANY ALARM SYSTEM
- Try to make your residence look occupied by leaving a car in the drive way; leaving a radio or TV on; having lights on timers. Try not to leave your trash cans out all day. Maybe you can get a neighbor to put you trash cans on the side of the house.
- If someone comes to your door, and you do not know them, do not answer the door. However, try to let the person know there is someone inside (ask “who is it”, or say “I am calling the Police”, etc.). If you are suspicious, or afraid, CALL THE POLICE. If you are using a home phone you can call 911, or 510-724-1111. If you are using a Cell phone call 510-724-1111.
- If you are going to be gone for a few days stop your mail, and/or paper, or have someone collect them for you. If you are expecting a package have someone pick it up for you.
- If you are going to be gone for any length of time, in addition to number 2 and 4, make sure someone is taking care of your yard, so the house looks lived in. Also consider doing a “Vacation Watch” request with the Police Department.
- WATCH OUT FOR YOUR NEIGHBOR AND ASK THEM TO WATCH OUT FOR YOU. You and your neighbors are the eyes and ears for the Police Department. If you see, or hear, something suspicious, call the police IMMEDIATELY.
- LOCK YOUR CAR, WHEN YOU GET OUT OF IT. Do not leave the engine running when you are not in the car, even for a few minutes.
- DO NOT LEAVE PURSES, COMPUTERS, PACKAGES, OR OTHER VALUBLES, IN YOUR VHEHICLE. If you must leave items in the car, put them in the trunk, out of sight, before you reach your destination.
- Be aware, of your surroundings. Be alert when you are using ATMs, especially at night. If you feel uncomfortable leave.
- Keep purses and brief cases close to your body. Try to keep phones out of sight so they cannot be easily grabbed.