Environmental Review of Willow Avenue Commercial Center Available
Public Review Period Ends July 12, 2018
The City of Hercules has prepared an Initial Study and intends to adopt a Mitigated Negative Declaration for the Willow Avenue Commercial Project. The proposed project involves the development of a commercial center consisting of a self-storage facility and automotive repair center on a 7.1-acre site currently known as 1444 Willow Avenue containing two parcels (APN 406-522-004-0 and APN 406‑522‑005-7). The self-storage facility would consist of 846 storage units, an office, and caretaker unit, totaling 101,151 square feet located in five separate buildings. One mini-storage building would be three stories high, the office/caretaker building would be two-stories in height, with the remaining mini-storage buildings being single-story. The automotive center would consist of three buildings, all single-story, with a tire store/automotive shop of 9,555 square feet, an oil change facility of 2,734 square feet, and a car wash of 5,572 square feet. A single point of access to the site would be provided on the properties Willow Avenue frontage.
The proposed project requires a number of approvals from the City, including:
- Zoning text amendment (ZTA 18-04) to allow mini storage uses to be considered with a Use Permit in the General Commercial (GC) Zoning District;
- Development Agreement (DA #18-01);
- Conditional Use Permits (CUP #18-01) for the mini storage use, auto repair use, car wash, oil change, and tire store;
- Design Review (DRP #18-02) for the eight new proposed buildings and associated landscaping;
- Lot Line Adjustment;
- Grading Permit; and
- Building Permit.
The environmental analysis provided in the Initial Study indicates that the proposed project could have a significant adverse effect on the environment, but that there will not be a significant effect because revisions have been made that will mitigate any effect to a less than significant level. A Mitigated Negative Declaration was therefore prepared. The project site is not on a list of hazardous waste sites compiled pursuant to Government Code Section 65962.5.
Project Location: The project is proposed on a 7.1 acre site that is currently contains two vacant parcels, located on the south side of Willow Avenue just east of Palm Avenue, and north of the adjacent BNSF Rail Line.
Public Review/Public Comment Period: Copies of the proposed Mitigated Negative Declaration and Initial Study and all documents referenced therein are available for public review at the following locations:
- City of Hercules, 111 Civic Drive, Hercules, California 94547
- City’s Website for the Planning Department, “Willow Avenue Commercial Project”
A 20-day public review period for the Mitigated Negative Declaration begins on June 22, 2018 and ends on July 12, 2018. If you would like to comment, please send your written comments no later than 5 p.m. on July 12, 2018, to: Victor Carniglia, Contract Planner, 111 Civic Drive, Hercules, California 94547.
Public Hearings: 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers located at 111 Civic Drive, Hercules.
- Before the Planning Commission on July 16, 2018 and potentially July 30 and August 6, 2018
- Before City Council anticipated on August 14 and/or September 11, 2018
Any interested person may appear and be heard on this matter at either before or up to one of the meetings or contact Victor Carniglia, Contract Planner, City of Hercules, Planning Department.