Hercules Commission Vacancies Application Deadline: October 27, 2019
The Hercules City Council is currently recruiting residents for appointment to the Planning Commission, Finance Commission, Community and Library Services Commission as well as recruiting for regional committee appointments. Applicants must be residents of the City of Hercules, 18 years of age or older and registered to vote with the exception of the Student Commissioner which must be a high school student and a resident of Hercules. The Application Deadline is October 27, 2019. Contact Lori Martin, City Clerk, at (510) 799-8215 or at email@example.com for additional information.
Applications are completed through the City’s website at:
Planning Commission – Two (2) Vacancies with terms ending December 2021
The Planning Commission meets the first and third Mondays of every month at 7 p.m. The Commission is advisory to the Council and has statutory duties imposed by State law. The Commission:
- Performs all functions assigned to it by the zoning and design review ordinances of the City.
- Reviews and makes recommendations to the Council on the general plan, specific neighborhood plans, tentative subdivision maps, environmental impact reports, and planned unit developments.
- Reviews the capital improvements program and makes recommendations to the Council.
- Provides design review of proposed buildings and other construction projects and reviews landscape plans.
- Grants use permits and variances.
Finance Commission – Two (2) Vacancies with terms ending December 2021, One (1) Vacancy with an unexpired term ending December 31, 2020
The Finance Commission meets the bi-monthly on the third Wednesday at 7 p.m. The Commission is advisory to the Council and has the following duties:
- Quarterly review of City’s financial status; review and comment on audit reports, the proposed operating budget and the capital improvement program budgets.
- Makes recommendations to the Council with respect to budget priorities.
- Advises the Council on matters of policy and public interest related to the management of the City’s finances and budget.
- Serves as the Oversight Committee for Measure “A,” including providing an annual report, to ensure that utility user tax funds are spent in accordance with the voter approved measure adopted in June 2013.
- Serves as the Oversight Committee for Measure “O,” including providing an annual report, to ensure that the sales tax revenues approved by Hercules voters are spent in accordance with the voter approved measure adopted in June 2012.
Community & Library Services Commission – One (1) vacancy with a term ending December 2021, one (1) Student Commissioner with a term ending December 2021, One (1) Vacancy with an unexpired term ending December 31, 2020
The Community and Library Services Commission meets on the second Monday of every month at 7:00 p.m. in the Hercules City Council Chambers located at 111 Civic Drive, Hercules, CA 94547. The Commission is advisory to the Council and has the following duties:
- Develop plans and recommendations for parks, playgrounds, recreational facilities, and use of community buildings.
- Work with the Parks and Recreation Department on the development and evaluation of recreation programs and community activities/events.
- Provide assistance and support in the planning and operation of City sponsored community events.
- In cooperation and consultation with the Parks and Recreation Department, make recommendations to the City Council with respect to priorities for recreation, library, and community services expenditures in the City’s capital improvement program.
- Review and comment on the annual operating and capital improvement budgets for the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Make recommendations with respect to community service needs such as child care, youth summer employment, senior activities/programs, and recreational programs.
- Review and make recommendations with respect to fees for the use of parks, playgrounds, recreational facilities, and community buildings.
- Advise on matters of policy and public interest related to the management, use and preservation of library facilities and property.
- Render such other specific services as are consistent with the role of an advisory board on the library system, to include recommendations and advice to the county librarian on matters related to the Hercules library.
- The Commission member serving as the City’s Area Representative to the Contra Costa County Library Commission shall routinely report to the entire Community and Library Services Commission on actions taken at the Contra Costa Library Commission meetings.
- Review and make recommendations regarding the Arts in Public Places Program and exhibits at the Hercules Public Library.
- Oversee the Heritage Memorial Garden Plaque Program which is designed to recognize Hercules residents or civic leaders and enhance the historical aspect of the garden.
- Oversee the Library Art Exhibition Program which is designed to review art pieces submitted by participants of the program to be allowed to display their art pieces at the Hercules Public Library.
- Such other duties relating to recreation activities and community and library service needs as may be directed by the City Council.
REGIONAL APPOINTMENTS – OPEN UNTIL FILLED: For an application to one of our Regional Appointments, contact Lori Martin, City Clerk (510) 799-8215, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mosquito & Vector Control - One (1) Vacancy with a two (2) year term.
The Mosquito & Vector Control Board meets in concord on the second Monday at 7 p.m. every other month. Trustees also serve on various subcommittees, which requires attendance at additional meetings. Trustees are paid $100 per month. Trustees should have an interest in any of the following areas: public health, public policy, wetlands, farming, community education, finance, personnel or land development.