Coronavirus Update:  Shelter in place advisories for Contra Costa have been extended indefinitely.  For the latest information on what the City is doing to keep us all healthy and safe, click here or visit


Code Enforcement

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

84-1 PhotoThe Code Enforcement Program was adopted to help keep the City of Hercules a healthy, safe, clean, and attractive place in which to live. City Staff works with residents to take an active role in improving and maintaining the quality of life of their neighborhoods, as well as maintaining property values.

Typical Neighborhood Problems

The Code Enforcement Program is designed to address neighborhood problems including: 

  • Garbage containers in public view.
  • Discarded furniture, appliances, litter, debris, and junk.
  • Overgrown weeds, which are a fire hazard.
  • Graffiti.
  • Zoning violations.
  • Illegal signs and promotional displays.
  • Inoperable vehicles on private property; recreational, boat, and trailer storage.
  • Building code violations.

Specific requirements for some common complaints: 

  • Garbage container storage
    Garbage and recycling containers must be screened from the public view. Receptacles should not be placed in the street earlier than 24 hours before the collection and should be removed no later than 48 hours after collection. 
  • Inoperable Vehicles
    Vehicles parked in the driveway must be in running condition. If they are inoperable they must be stored inside the garage or in the rear screened from the public view.Inoperable vehicles


  • Recreational Vehicles, Boat and Trailer Storage
    Recreational vehicles, boats and trailers must be stored behind a solid 6 foot fence in the side or rear yard and screened from public view.
  • Signs
    A sign permit is required for all permanent signage. “A” frame signs are not allowed to be placed in the street medians.
    For more information, call (510) 799-8244. 
  • Storm water / Illegal Discharge
    Only rain water can be discharged into a storm drain. Paint, concrete, chlorinated water and other deleterious materials are prohibited from being discharged into the storm drain. Please contact your local recycler for disposal. 
  • Construction Permits
    Most types of construction, including repair work, require that you first obtain a permit. There are permits for building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical. Please contact the Building Division for further information.Falling wall

To File a Complaint
To report violations, please complete our online Code Enforcement Complaint Form or call (510) 799-8244.
You will need to provide the following information:  

  • Name and telephone number.
    Staff will contact you if more information is needed. Your name will not be divulged unless subpoenaed by the courts.

  • The address of the violation.
    Please be as specific as possible. 
  • The nature of the violation.
    What type of violation is it? Does it occur at a specific time of day? Please report as many facts as possible.