The Hercules Lighting and Landscaping program make possible the attractive environment that Hercules residents enjoy, with well maintained streets and facilities; beautiful public parks; landscaped street frontages and median islands; as well as neighborhood and downtown street lighting. The program is geographically divided into Lighting & Landscaping Assessment Districts (PDF). Property owners within each district pay an annual property tax to fund their respective Lighting and Landscaping Assessment District. Landscape and lighting assessments pay for:
- Maintaining planting in median islands and along street frontage
- Keeping parks in an attractive and usable condition
- Removing graffiti from public areas
- Renovating cul-de-sacs in residential neighborhoods
- Maintaining and planting trees in City parks and in open spaces
- Landscaping median islands on major thoroughfares
- Providing and maintaining neighborhood and downtown street lighting
- Maintaining community recreational facilities
These services are maintained on an ongoing basis by licensed landscape contractors and City Maintenance Staff.
If you have a comment regarding the City's lighting and landscaping, please submit a Public Works Comment form.