Coronavirus Update:  Shelter in place advisories for Contra Costa have been extended indefinitely.  For the latest information on what the City is doing to keep us all healthy and safe, click here or visit

Police Department 3


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

My car got towed…how do I get it back?

You must be the listed registered owner with the DMV of the vehicle. You must have a current driver license or bring a person with you with a valid driver license to drive your vehicle. The vehicle must be currently registered with the DMV. If a smog is needed, you must get a moving permit from the DMV to move your vehicle. If your vehicle was towed for expired registration, you must bring current DMV paperwork with you for the release. The vehicle release fee is $185. There will be no fees associated with recovered stolen vehicles.

I need a copy of my police report. What do I need to do?

A report request must be submitted to the Records Unit. The reports are available for release within 7-10 business days, pending approval from the Administration Sergeant.

There are exceptions to this procedure. If the case involves a juvenile, a copy of the report is sent to the Juvenile Judge of Contra Costa County. The Judge makes the determination as to whether the report will be released and notifies the Hercules Police Department of the decision. At that point, typically 7-10 days later, we will notify you of the Judge’s decision.

Cases involving active criminal investigations will not be released until the case has been adjudicated.

How do I contest a parking citation?

If you wish to contest a parking citation you must do so in writing. Send a written letter stating your reason(s) for contesting the citation to: Payment Center, P.O. Box 22814, Denver, CO 80222. For additional information, call 510-423-7275.

How do I take care of a traffic citation?

After you receive a citation, a copy will be given to you from the officer. You must take care of the citation on or before the court date with the Richmond Superior Court.

If you receive a fix it ticket, the violation must be corrected prior to sign off. There will be no fee charged if the citation was issued by a Hercules Police Officer or if you are a Hercules resident. There is a $20 fee for citations issued by outside agencies.

How do I obtain a clearance letter?

Hercules Police Department records will check for any contacts and/or arrests you may have had within the City. A clearance letter stating the results can be mailed to your home or picked up from the Department, typically within 3 working days.

How do I schedule a Live Scan appointment? How much does it cost?

Appointments are required for Live Scan services. Please call 510-799-8270 to schedule an appointment. The cost for live scan depends on the reason that the service is needed. Live Scan rolling fee is $45 in addition to any applicable state or federal fees. Payment must be made immediately after the live scan is conducted.

How can I submit a vacation watch?

If you leave your home for periods of time and would like the Hercules Police Department to be notified of your absence, please fill out the Vacation House Watch form and submit it to the police department.

How can I find out if a sex offender lives near me?

Visit Megan's Law website. This is on the Attorney General's website.

I’m a victim of Identity theft. What should I do?

Report the incident to the police department. You can also report the incident on our online reporting. For identity theft publications click here.

How do you get your property back?

Contact the Property Division at (510) 799-8270 and make an appointment to obtain your property. Evidence items may not be released.

How do you get your firearm back?

If your firearm is taken by a member of the Hercules Police Department for any reason, you must complete a request form required by the California Department of Justice to have it returned ( Upon successful review of your request, you will receive a certificate that allows the Hercules Police Department to release the firearm to you. Contact the Property Division at 510-799-8270 after receipt of the DOJ certificate, to make an appointment to retrieve your firearm.

How do I make a complaint against a police employee? 

If you would like to make a complaint about a police employee, please complete our online comment form.

My car was repossessed. What do I need to do?

Contact your bank or loan company to determine what they require for return of your vehicle. The Hercules Police Department provides a release for repossessed vehicles that is required by the tow company. The charge for this release is currently $15, and it can be obtained at the HPD Administrative Office.

Animal Control

Animal control and sheltering services are provided through an agreement with the Contra Costa County Animal Service Department. The CCC Animal Services has two animal shelters, one in Martinez and one in Pinole. The department handles lost and found animals, licensing, adoptions and emergency pet services. In addition, they offer numerous field services such as investigating claims of animal cruelty, picking up injured animals, and impounding stray animals.

Compliments for Officers

If you would like to compliment an officer, please complete our online comment form

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer